Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Few Questions for My Readers

Hello folks, I have a few questions for y'all today.

If a fellow wears a dress why do we call it cross dressing?  I mean, girls wear pants and we don't call that cross dressing.  You say, well he is wearing girls' clothes and that is gross. Is he?  The dress was made for him, not for a girl, so he isn't cross dressing is he?  Then why is it wrong for him to wear it?  If I sewed up a dress for myself and wore it tomorrow, wouldn't you be shocked and disgusted?  Why should you be, I made the dress for myself, so therefore it is not women's clothes.  People often argue that girls can wear pants because the pants they wear are not actually mens pants, well then why can't guys wear dresses as long as they were not actually made for women?

While I am on the subject of pants, the Bible speaks of clothing as a covering, so, why is it okay for you to wear skin tight jeans?  That goes for girls and guys.  If you are wearing skin tight clothes, is that really a covering?  If you do wear skin tight clothes, why do you?  It cannot be comfort, loose is always more comfortable I think.  Search yourself on this, why do you dress the way you do? 

That is all for now folks, please comment.

God Bless,

Flame of Jah

4 comments:

Beth at IAMRanch said...

I believe motive is always a huge issue. Of course, what Scripture says (in this case modesty) is always THE issue, but motives are the second most important. Why would a guy wear a dress? For one, dresses are very impractical, and for two, a dress on a man is backwards in our culture. The only thing it would accomplish is some weird stares.

The other aspect is that we never dress a certain way "just cause". There's always a reason we do what we do, and there will always be an effect or a message put out from what we do. If a guy was to wear a dress, why would he do so? What message or worldview is he trying to promote (consciously or unconsciously)? For example, I love outdoor life. I'm not one to dress fancy all the time or even in anything unpractical because that doesn't fit my outlook on life. Modest and functional. Which for me means a t-shirt, jeans, and boots most of time. I do that for a reason, and when someone looks at me, they sure don't see a city kid :) Clothing makes a statement...like it or not.

Modesty is another huge issue. I'm a girl, and yes, I wear pants. Not skin tight, super short, super low...just functional jeans. Because I can't do what I do in a skirt. We have 20 horses, nearly as many dogs, and the occasional pig to butcher.

Modest and functional...my motto :) :)

There's my two cents worth!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Well if you are wearing men's clothing that are in a dress or skirt style like a kilt or a thawb, no one would call you cross dressing.

Moriah Jordan Miller said...

We can only see the outward appearance of man, but the Lord can look deeper. (Proverbs 21:2)

It all depends on your intent. Outwardly, you may be doing everything *right*, but where is your heart? God knows. It's not for us to judge, however.

As far as cultural and practicality aspects, that's a whole other issue. It depends on where you are and what you are doing.

"In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works." 1 Timothy 2:9-10

Keyword: but ;)

For each and every person it'll be a little different. It's between them and God. We are not to be stumbling blocks to others. (Romans 14:13)

I have a blog post sitting in my drafts folder..seems like I best be getting to it, lol.

Sir Joshua David said...

I pose the question when these was written the the Bible what did the culture were then? From what little studying I have done both men and women wore robe like clothes and there were no dresses or pants but I'm sure there were distinctions between the men and woman's clothes. Likewise today there is a distinction between boy and girls clothes, it becomes wrong when a guy wears clothes that are know to be women's clothing.

I totally agree with you about the tight clothing being immodest! I also think Lisa has a good point in that our motives have a huge factor in everything we do and God is the only one that knows them besides us (and sometimes we even deceive ourselves and God must convict us).